May 11, 2010

Reading time...

We've started a new tradition at our house. I've always tried to read a story to my kids before bed each night and the last year or so it's kind of gotten away from me. I've felt so guilty not reading to them like I always have, especially with Thomas because I read to Madison every night for the first 8 or so years of her life and poor T has gotten the short end of the stick it seems when it comes to this nightly tradition. By the time I get three kids in bed I am usually frazzled and exhausted and the last thing I feel like doing is reading multiple stories. So, about a week and a half ago I decided I would get all of them in bed (well, Madison prefers to lay in her bed and T plays quietly with his army guys since he falls asleep in about 5 minutes flat once his head hits the pillow and therefore he would never actually hear any of the book if he laid in bed while I read) and then I sit outside the two older kids' room and read a chapter or so out of one book to both of them. Right now we are reading this book...


It's fun to read out loud and come up with different voices for different characters (although I'm sure I sound like a total dork but it's for the children right?). It's been fun to see how they get into the story, asking questions and moaning when it's time to stop for the night. Madison always has a near coronary when I close the book and she has to wait for the next night to find out what happens. Between you and me I think Thomas just likes the extra play time and I'm not sure he even really "gets" the story but he enjoys it too so I'll keep going! Sometimes I feel guilty that I am reading them a story instead of the scriptures but one thing at a time right? I hope they know that I do it because I love them, because I love to read and want them to also, because I love to watch their eyes light up at the anticipation as the story builds and because I secretly hope that even when they are too old to listen anymore and even when they move away, they will remember my voice. At some point I will have to start reading Em a story every night too (right now by bedtime she just wants to lay in her crib and has no patience for stories when she is that tired) and things will be busy again but this new "reading time" is good because it's re-teaching me to sit and be still with my kids again, something that seems to get lost in our home at times. If you have read any good books that your kids have loved pass em' on. If I get my way we'll  need many books to read for many years to come!

1 comments:

crazymom said...

My kids and I love the series Diary of a wimpy kid. They are so funny!