May 26, 2010

Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow...


About a week ago we said good-bye to "someone" our whole family loved. Matt's 4-wheeler. It was his 4th child. Every winter when it would snow Matt would turn into an excited little kid when he got to go plow. He would stay out all day long and drive around the neighborhood finding as many people as he could that needed help plowing their driveways then head over and do the church parking lot too. A couple of his friends had 4-wheelers with plows and it always became somewhat of a contest to see who could get out there first so that they could plow the most. It was always sad when Matt would get home late from work and realize that someone else had got out and plowed our cul-de-sac before him.


The kids loved it almost as much as him too. They always begged for rides and they loved when he pulled them on a sled around behind him. In the summer he tried to go out on some day trips with friends and was always so good about letting one of the older kids go with him.


We went on a day trip as a family also and had so much fun! Being the irresponsible parents that we are we got a warning citation from the rangers that day for Madison not having a helmet. Oops! I promise, we weren't doing anything crazy!


Well, in the end Matt decided that he just didn't use it enough to make it worth keeping. He decided that if he sold it we could use the money to help finish our basement or pay off some debt so he listed it in the classifieds and it went to a good home last week. The man that bought it brought his two little boys with them and they were SO excited! It makes me sad that Matt had to part with it, knowing how much he loved it and how long he has always wanted one, but I am thankful that he is willing to take one for the team and part with one of his "toys" for the greater family good. Thanks Honey....I love you!

2 comments:

Rockin' Rowes said...

So sad Matt had to give up his 4th child! I know I will miss his contribution to shoveling the neighborhood!

Ashlee said...

That makes me sad that you guys are parting with your four wheeler!! I remember when we were getting ready to move in and I was shoveling the driveway a couple days before our big move and Matt saw me and came and plowed our driveway! He was my angel that day because it needed to be done but Mark was at work and couldn't do it... I had my kiddos in the car with the heat on and I know that it would have taken me hours to do but Took Matt a matter of minutes!! Kaleb always enjoys watching Matt plow the sidewalks in the wintertime. He will say "Mom, Matt is out with the wheeler!!" So cute! Your four wheeler will be missed! Wink, Wink!!