This is our beloved family pet, Maya. She is a 3 year old Miniature Schnauzer and is really like a fourth child to me. Matt gave her to me almost 3 years ago as an anniversary/pity gift. He had just gotten a new job and had to head off to a two week training trip and it just happened to fall over Easter and our anniversary. To compound things, I HATE staying alone! I am a very paranoid person by nature and being by myself at night is one of my most anxiety inducing fears. I am much better than I used to be though. Back when we were first married I would either have panic attacks or go stay with my parents or sister if I had to be on my own over night. I have since then hitched up my big girl panties and learned to stay by myself without any anxiety attacks along the way...but I still don't like it! Anyhoo...So back when he left for training I mentioned that I wish we had a dog to "protect" me while he was gone and then jokingly told him that he could get me a dog to make up for leaving me alone for two weeks, not to mention for flying out on Easter and being gone for our anniversary. I am not usually like that. I mean let's be honest, I did kind of manipulate the situation and all. But to my surprise he said ok and I jumped on it before he could change his mind! That night we drove an hour away to pick up a little 10 week old puppy that was supposed to "protect" me while he was gone. Ok, maybe just keep me company! I couldn't find any of her puppy pics but she was darn cute!
We all love her as you can see in the pics above. Here's the problem: She barks. A lot. At people/birds/animals outside, when someone knocks on the door or rings the doorbell, when we walk her and she sees someone or something, when she hears a noise or a bird flies into the window (the birds in our neighborhood seem to be a little, shall we say, special?). When she starts barking it is nearly impossible to get her to stop, and she is SO LOUD! It's always been annoying but since Em arrived almost 2 years ago the barking has reached a new stress level. I want to strangle the mutt when she wakes up The Pea from a much needed nap! We have to put her in her crate almost everyday when Em takes a nap and then again when the kids get home from school because she starts barking the minute they walk in the door and continues to bark through friends coming and going, knocking and ringing, inside and outside....you get the idea. At this point it is either find a way to control the barking or find her a different home. Let me stop here and say that I do not expect her to be silent. Dogs bark, I get that. But it sure would be nice if we could teach her to stop after a bark or two...or three or even four! I feel like between her barking and The Pea's incessant screeching all day, due to lack of communication skills, I am going to go stark raving mad!!! So, tomorrow we have an appointment with a trainer. Oh how I hope she can teach us how to put a kibosh on the noise issues around here (too bad she can't train the toddler too), otherwise we may find ourselves down by one furry family member. Wish us luck!


1 comments:
Hey I found your blog from Cjane's comments. I just wanted to say I feel your pain. My boyfriend has two Miniature Schnauzers and that bark can drive you batty. I have no advice for you...he just deals with it. Just wanted to say I wish you the best they are super sweet dogs, but if you say "bird" around them they won't stop barking.
Post a Comment