Well, it's time. Emilia is now nearly 2 years old and still wants a binky. It makes me sad to take her "mouth woobie" because it's one thing that still makes her seem like a baby to me but I've always hated seeing older toddlers with binkies in their mouths and hearing them talk around them. I know that she is not that old yet but lately I've been thinking that it's about time to ditch the old bink. It's not even so much that I don't like the way it looks (it's kinda cute actually) but it does hinder her speaking and the worst part is that, as I have mentioned before, she put's her lower lip up over the bottom rim of the binky, which makes it nearly impossible to swallow, which in turn leads to massive drooling. I'm talking constant strings of spit flowing from her binky drenching the front of her shirt. When you take her binky out out of her mouth so she can eat or talk a string of drool comes with then drops onto the nearest surface...yuk. The other day when we were outside she had the usual spit running out and the wind blew it just right and created a large cluster of "spit grapes" that hung from her binky. Gross!
So yesterday I cut the tip off of one of her binkies and threw the rest in the garbage so that I would not be tempted to give in. I told her it was broken when she noticed it was different. She chewed on it and handed it back. Things were ok and then naptime came 'round. Oh boy! Hysterics for about a half hour straight. I went in a couple of times and tried to rock her and sooth her and nothing helped. I have to admit that I cried too. My heart was breaking thinking that I was breaking my baby's heart. It was so hard to know that I couldn't explain to her why I wouldn't give her her most beloved item. I know, it sounds silly but it's how I felt. Finally I went and got her and let her lay on the couch next to me for while. I decided to lay her back in bed and then I think she decided that a broken binky was better than no binky and she went to sleep. Hmmm. Not exactly what I had been aiming for.
Well today it's the same. A broken binky is better than no binky apparently because she is sleeping as I type this post. I snipped some more off and it's still acceptable it seems. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. Maybe I should just take it away cold turkey...but I can't. I'm a wimp!!! Not to mention she gets mad as a hornet when she wants that thing and can't have it! We were at Target today and she chucked her box of Gold Fish Crackers on the floor, fishies everywhere, while letting out a piercing scream that actually echoed through the store...clean up on aisle five! Darn that child!!! Let me tell you, making the decision to stop both our woobies (my Diet Coke, her bink) at the same time was really stupid too. When I get stressed, Diet Coke is the first thing I think of. I made it to noon today though before I gave in to the craving. This may not seem like a victory but it is for me! I guess neither of us seem to be able to stop cold turkey...like mother like daughter. Of course, I guess this gives me added empathy to the binky withdrawal she has to go through. If you have any ideas that might help with this whole binky detox let me know-I'm desperate! Do I keep cutting away at the nipple? Take it away all at once? Give it to her in bed, but ONLY in bed? Help!!! I just keep repeating to myself, "She won't take a binky to college...She won't take a binky to college..."
Your's in desperation,

1 comments:
I always took them away cold turkey. It would only be rough for maybe one or two sleeps and then they forgot about it. Just leave the house and step outside if they are crying to much. If you take it away cold turkey the crying doesn't linger. You sound like a much nicer mom than I am! Keep up whatever you think is best!
Post a Comment