February 8, 2010

A Cold, Dreams and Kids say the darndest things...

**Edit 2/09: Our cute neighbor girl came over yesterday after school and had her first "lesson"!**

So I already mentioned I have a cold. For some reason it was a real doozy this time! It started way back like a month ago when The Pea went to nursery (Sunday School for toddlers) for the first time. Within 3 days of that she came down with a cold....which lasted two weeks...which turned into a sinus infection! Poor baby. She was so miserable. So then The Pirate got it, but it only lasted a couple of days and it wasn't too bad. Then I got a scratchy throat. I fought it. I fought it hard. I took all kinds of boost-your-immune-system stuff. But it hit me anyway. With a vengeance! Holy Cow!!! I lost my voice, my sinuses backed up like the Hoover Dam, (and yet my nose ran like crazy-go figure) my throat hurt, I couldn't breathe through my nose, I coughed, and coughed, and coughed....you know the drill. Usually I kinda just push through a cold, Moms don't get sick days you know. But this time I caved. My kids were late for school like every day last week. I think we went through the drive-through or ordered in 4 out of 5 nights. The laundry and dishes stacked up until Friday when The Hubster swooped in and saved the day (he works Mon.-Thurs.) There's still a pile of both for today but it's manageable.

So while I was sick I took LOTS of Advil Cold & Sinus. I'm not sure what's in that stuff but oh the dreams I had! I had a dream where The Hubster told me he wanted a divorce. I begged and pleaded. I told him I would lose weight and keep the house clean(can you tell how I feel about myself and my homemaking skills?), but he wouldn't budge. Then I had a dream, hours later, that I owned my own motorcycle. I decided to leave my family and go on a road trip. I found myself in Nevada, which I had deduced from the numerous cacti around me. Technically, in my dream, I had no idea where I was or how long I had been gone. I decided I needed to turn around when I spotted a tattoo parlor. Oh yes. I found myself asking for a tattoo of a 50's pinup girl....!? Somewhere I could hide it if I wanted to. However, in my dream, I found myself wrestling with the fact that The Prophet had told the members of our church not to get tattoos! I was going back and forth trying to figure out how many points against me, heaven wise, I would get if I got the tattoo! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME!!! Do I have a subconscious desire to rebel or something?  I woke up before making the choice. Then this morning I woke up after having a dream that The Pirate was missing and I had picture clues to figure out in order to find him.  Usually dreams like that really freak me out but this one seemed really low key, like it wasn't that urgent that I find him. Weird. So there you go. If anybody knows anything about analyzing dreams feel free to have a field day with this post!

Now that I am feeling 85% or so I figured I'd take a minute to write down some funny things my boy said this past week. You can tune this part out if its boring...you know, family journal stuff.

Story-#1
The Pirate came home from school last week and told me that one of the neighbor girls would be coming over for drum lessons. He proceeded to tell me in a very business like tone that she was impressed with his mad drumming skills and he offered to teach her how to jam like he does. Now, you need to know that he has never touched a real set of drums in his life. His passion for drumming first came about when he started school, learned the age old "We Will Rock You" chant on the bus, and decided to beat it out on the couch cushions with a pair of mini pool sticks we had. As you can imagine, I was not so passionate about his new passion. I asked him to do it elsewhere so he went up to his room. He pounded out that same rhythm and sang that same chant, at the top of his lungs for about 45 minutes straight. When that got tiresome he moved his one man band to the garage. He would sit backwards on the 4-wheeler and pound to his little hearts content and sing, REALLY LOUD, day after day. Christmas came around and Santa brought him a drum pad  with real drumsticks. Now that he had "real" drums he started forming bands whenever friends came. Which brings us back to drum lessons. One of those bands included his new drum student. He informed me that the lessons would take "about six days because that's about all I know". Sadly, his pupil never showed. Her loss...

Story-#2
For the past 3 days or so The Pirate (and occasionally The Princess or random friends) have been digging a hole. This is actually pretty common around here. See, our backyard is surrounded on 3 sides by hills of garden beds (I'll take a picture). Every few months or so the kids around here decide to start digging a hole, solely for the purpose of seeing how deep they can get it. Before long they lose interest and move on. This current hole is the biggest yet. In fact according to The Pirate, "It's the biggest hole I ever dug!" The best thing about this excavation is that he is taking it SO seriously. I asked him how it was coming yesterday and he said,"It's amazing! I'm going to keep digging every day. I mean, I wanna make history with this one!" complete with hand gestures and wide eyes. They find all kinds of great things in these holes to. Saturday they found a brick. Not just any brick but, "One of the old bricks! The kind without 3 holes in the side!" Yesterday he found a millipede at least 4 inches long and as fat as my thumb (he showed us the measurements with his hands-as in,"I caught a fish THIS BIG"). Really though, I'm just so glad that I have a boy with such a delightful imagination! He really is one cool kid. Oh, and guess what his current favorite movie is? Yep. Disney's Holes. Hmmm...if he's out there diggin', I better not be The Warden in his mind....


Well, that's it. Have a lovely day. Oh, and call us if you need any drum lessons or holes dug!

0 comments: