April 30, 2010

At the beginning of the school year I signed up at the PTA table to decorate a door for Teacher Appreciation week. Last week I got the phone call informing me it was time. I was assigned the main office door. The problem was I had no idea what to do for it and we hadn't gotten paid yet so I had no money until payday. I have to decorate the door today. We got paid yesterday. That's right, I had one day to figure out what I was doing and get it all assembled and ready to go. So yesterday I spent about 6 hours doing a door decoration that they will leave up for a week and then throw away! Except that I put so much (WAY TOO MUCH) effort into it that I think I will get it back and hang it in my baby's room. Anyway, here's the deal. I feel like a total dork for putting so much into it. Madison says that most people just stick some stuff on there and spell out thank you. I can't ever seem to do things the simple way. I have to come up with some fancy design and go to town and now everyone is going to think I am some kind of over-achiever show-off or something. I like how it turned out but I'm kind of embarrassed to hang it up now. Oh well. Our school secretaries really do deserve a good door though because they are great! They are teachers too, teaching compassion when they are so sweet and always make the kids feel loved, or show concern when they come down to the office sick or hurt and they always smile and ask them how they are doing when they are their for other reasons. Not to mention they are kind to me when I come in and if you have worked with other school's secretaries kindness is not always the case! So, I will hang up my door decoration and I will hold my head high and I will be ok with my own dorkiness because it's all in the name of education!



0 comments: