April 28, 2010

IT'S NOT FAIR!!!



As you have noticed I have buttons on the left side of my blog for what I call my "Blog Babies". These are children who are disabled or sick in one way or another and without knowing them in person I have still fallen in love with them (there have been others who have passed away as well and they're button isn't there anymore.). The Hubster laughs at how attached I get to them. I have been known to sob while reading posts about these babies and when one dies I feel as though I lost someone close to me. The Hubster doesn't understand how I can care so much about a baby/family I have never met. I don't know. Maybe I get attached to people too easily or something. Maybe it's because I am a mother and I know how devastated I would be to watch my child suffer or have to let them go if they passed away.There have been some I have had to quit reading about because it was really getting me down. But there are a few, the ones on the left, that I can't let go of. Sometimes I feel angry. Angry that these beautiful children have to suffer. Most days after I check their blogs I just think, "IT'S NOT FAIR!!!! There is beautiful Gwendolyn who can't move anything but her fingers, who is trapped inside her little body due to SMA and will die much sooner than she should. There's darling Jonah who suffers through his skin blistering and peeling off and his Mom has to worry about G-tubes and dehydration when he gets a simple cold. Then there's Piper. What a doll! She's never lived at home. Reagan and Jake have to visit their baby in the hospital if they want to see her and she's almost 3! I cried everyday when my newborn was in the hospital for 10 days! There's blue-eyed Lucy who will go eventually go blind, and sweet Mason's family almost lost him because of a bad heart and then he started rejecting his new heart. Cute Karmindy might have to have another heart surgery this summer and Tiny Maggie has some mystery disease and is going downhill everyday because doctors can't figure out what she has. Sweet little Cora (The Macs) passed away after a 17 day battle with cancer before she was even a year old. Now her parents learn to live each day with her absence while loving her new baby brother.

I know this all sounds depressing and you are all wondering why I even read them. The other day when Gwendolyn almost died I asked myself the same thing. I thought about how, as silly as it seems, I will be devastated when she does go. To watch my own baby girl, close to Gwendolyn's age, run and jump and play is hard sometimes when I think of that beautiful little girl who's mind is just as sharp as Em's, but whose body is so broken. It breaks my heart and I thought that maybe I should just stop reading about such sad situations, then I wouldn't have to be there if/when the end comes for any of them. Then I thought of all the times I have thought of these kids when I am fed up with everything. I have learned so much through "getting to know" these families. They remind me each day to love my kids. To not take their health and abilities for granted. They remind me that it can all change so fast and that in a blink, life happens and I could have to live without one of my babies. They have taught me about courage and strength and finding joy despite the circumstance. I admire their parents so much for the tireless love and effort they have to put into each day just to keep their children entertained, or alive and sometimes, to go on without them.

Here's where there's a problem though and it's something I have struggled with most of my life (long before Blogland even existed). I want to know why. And I'm not just talking about my "Blog Babies". I'm talking about abused children around the world and orphans in Russia, and starving babies in Ethiopia and young girls raped and tortured in Africa and on and on and on... Why them and not my kids or me? How could a loving Father in Heaven allow them to suffer? How could he take these beautiful babies away from families who love them so much after they've already had to watch them decline day by day? How could he allow His children to suffer and starve?

Although this post is in no way meant to be religious I cannot help but bring God into it, seeing as I believe in Him, and thereby my personal beliefs. I am a Latter-Day Saint (Mormon). I believe in the Plan of Salvation. I believe we were sent to earth to get a body and be tested and return to Him. I believe that God loves His children and that families can be together forever, even in the life after this one. I believe in free agency and I believe in miracles. But I still don't understand why, or maybe how, He can let them suffer. I know His own Son suffered more than any of us ever could.  I know that there can be no joy without suffering and I know that miracles can only come when there is faith and situations where a miracle is needed. I know all of this in my head, but my heart still wonders why. Honestly, maybe I'll never really understand on a deep level until I meet my Maker. I'm sure it's one of those things I will just have to have faith about and let my very human mind trust in His higher knowledge. I just wish that all of these families could get their miracles and that none of them would have to suffer in order for those around them to have their lives touched because of them.

I'm probably not making a whole lot of sense. I know my posts are usually lighter and more amusing so I hope I didn't bore you with all my "serious talk" today. If any of you have any enlightenment for me on this subject I'd love to hear it.

Thanks.

5 comments:

Stu said...

I love your enormous capacity to love. I love your charitable spirit. I love that you hurt when others, that perhaps you have never met, hurt. And I love that you ask why. There is not a simple answer to your question(s). I am confident that Heavenly Father loves each of us more than we can imagine, and I believe that when anyone of us hurt, He does too. I also believe in the Atonement of Jesus Christ, and that he suffered greater than any and all, so that we won't have to ourselves, if we accept Him. And because of this, I have faith that allows me to accept some of these questions that I can't answer right now. I hope to increase both my faith and my capacity to love, and you always seem to help me do this, whether it be calling me out when I spew ridiculous statements on current political matters, or sharing some of "your babies" stories. I love you and thank you for helping me to grow.

Victoria Strong said...

Thank you for writing such an honest and lovely post -- and for including Gwendolyn in it. I will never understand suffering, but your kindness and willingness to embrace those of us enduring so much pain heals my heart and helps me focus on all the good in the world. Thank you for not turning away.

Shawni said...

Misty, you are SO sweet. I just came across an e-mail from you from forever ago and figured I better come check on you and I find this great post. So thought-provoking. I so agree with you. I remember my Dad going to Africa when I was much younger and being SO worried about those kids. Why was I born into my family and why were they born there? We are all children of God, so why do they have to go through so much? I'm convinced that it will all work out, and that Heavenly Father is very wise. I guess all we can do is reach out to those who need help in this life and try to help as much as we can. Thank you so much for helping spread the word about Lucy. You are so very kind to do that. We both appreciate you!

Love, Shawni

Michelle and Sean said...

Hi there,

Absolutely its okay that you used Maggies Picture. I wonder why this is happening to these innocent children. I hurt for them too. But you know we just try to enjoy what we can with Maggie and try not to look into the future too far. We take things day by day and try our best to have some type of fun everyday. The things we have heard from some of the doctors have been really hard but we don't take that as our only option. Especially without facts or a diagnosis we choose to live and stay optimistic. Maggie has already lived a year in June past what they told us. We are so grateful for that. We try to remember that things could be worse and so we embrace getting to know Maggie and making memories. There is a plan and we try to remember that.

I think it is so great that there are people like you who do pray for these kids and ask why. I think its people like you who are amazing that you open your heart for kids you have never met. I have to say from being in this place right now that its the people like you that we don't even know but care so much that help us get through everyday. Its weird how people you do know and are friends or family can make themselves so distant in times like this. We appreciate your support so much and We love that you love our kids!

Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Michelle

Reagan said...

Misty, you're so sweet. Thanks for loving my little girl so much. I can't say that I blame you ;)