April 26, 2010

The terrible two's...

E


Woooooowheeeee! Have we hit the terrible two's! My easy going baby girl has found her inner diva and watch out! It's been coming on little by little with tantrums over getting in her car seat and her insisting she decides where to sit while I put her shoes on. Tantrums over being put in the cart at the store and the high chair at restaurants. Now when I say tantrum I mean laying on the floor (or the street, or the middle of the sidewalk/store aisle) crying and screaming with her face buried in her hands, looking up periodically to see if I am still watching. Anyway, this morning started with a doozy of a tantrum at Hobby Lobby over getting into the cart after we tried it outside of the cart (which didn't go well-what a surprise!). Oh yeah, people were staring. Then a tantrum in the bath tub after we got home (she usually loves baths-but not lately). Then a tantrum over not getting to play with my iPhone.  The tantrums continued after naptime when I couldn't take her outside at the exact moment she wanted to go out, when I was making dinner and couldn't pick her up, when I didn't get her out of her chair fast enough after she had eaten and then when I did. Finally I took her outside hoping that it would sweeten her up a little. Bad idea. While I was talking to my neighbor she (Em, not my neighbor ;) threw a mighty impressive half hour long tantrum that started on the grass, then moved to the middle of the sidewalk, then she walked down the middle of the cul-de-sac crying as she went. I had to chase after her when some other neighbors came driving up (yep-Stellar Mom Moment). Now lest you think I am an uncaring mother, I tried to comfort her but oh no, there was no comforting to be had. Finally, after she had calmed down and then melted down again repeatedly we went inside to get a sippy of milk (thanks to my FAB-U-LOUS older daughter) and things calmed down a bit. Daddy came home which is always a treat and things were considerably better until bedtime (which went smoothly as well).

So here I sit  by the bluish glow of my laptop not entirely enthusiastic about what tomorrow might bring. I am trying to give her lots of choices and not pay attention to the tantrums (which is what landed her in the middle of the cul-de-sac...stop laughing Nicole!) but good criminy! It's a darn good thing she is starting to talk so much in that cute little voice of hers ("Tinkoe, Tinkoe, Tinkoe, Tinkoe..................Star....."), right now it's her saving grace. That and her incredibly entertaining facial expressions! But if you should see me in the middle of the sidewalk, face down crying, you'll know why. Just walk on by....I'll be done in a minute.


1 comments:

Annalee said...

OH!! we are right there with you!! I'll I can do is laugh when I am in public!! Maybe we can let them throw a fit together and it won't seem so bad for us!!! Funny little girls!