September 17, 2010

A Trip Down Memory Lane...

Since I mentioned our Meningitis episode with Emilia in my last post I have been thinking a lot about it and "what if" we hadn't have caught it. I know it happened 2 years ago but this blog didn't exist 2 years ago so I figured I'd write about it now so that it's recorded for the future. It's a long story so I'll break it up into a few posts and I'll understand if you don't read all of it...


Back then Emilia was a little (a 10 lb. 5 oz. "little") newborn. She was a month early and when she was born she had a really hard time coming around. Her shoulders had gotten stuck on the way out and when she came out she didn't cry. She didn't really move. She was really floppy and I think back and realize that I was not as worried about her as I should have been, after all her first Apgar score was a 2 out of 10. I suppose I took for granted that my other two had been healthy so she would be too. What if she hadn't come around? I remember the nurse not wanting Madison to see her at first, just in case..., while they tried to get her going and then only getting to hold her for about 5 minutes with oxygen near her nose before they whisked her away. I remember seeing her hooked up to oxygen and IV's and monitors and them telling me that she had been stuck 4 times to place the IV line and she still hadn't cried and that worried me.


Over the next 3 days she steadily improved, coming off of the oxygen and the glucose drip, and I finally heard her cry. It was hardest to watch Madison because she had been so excited for this baby and had wanted to be the first to hold her and then never got to on the day she was born. Then she wasn't allowed in the nursery because she was too young. I remember being in the nursery and holding Em up for the kids to see through the window and turning to see tears rolling down Madison's little face as she looked at this baby that she already loved so much and had been dreaming of holding for so long. One of the nurses saw me start to cry and asked how old Madison was. I told her she was eight and she said, "Hurry! Let's sneak her in for a quick second!" I will never forget the sweet look on Madison's face as she held her baby sister for all of about a minute.


A day later we brought our baby girl home and she was held non-stop. Then I started to notice something, something that I had never seen my other two babies do. Emilia twitched...a lot. It wasn't a "startle" like all babies do. She would be sleeping in her car seat and her arm would twitch repeatedly for a minute or so. I would be holding her and her arm and leg would twitch so I'd hold her a little tighter to try to get it to stop, and it wouldn't. The problem was, I was the only one who had seen it. Then, the third day we were home, Matt had taken T four-wheeling and Madison and I were watching TV on my bed with Emilia on the boppy in front of us and she started twitching again. Her little arm started jerking over and over, the longest yet, and I decided that it was time to call the doctor (I have since then looked up videos of newborn seizures found this on Youtube which is exactly what Em was doing.). I called the Pediatrician and she told me that she thought it might be from low blood sugar since she was such a big baby and that I needed to go to Primary Children's to get her sugar, potassium and sodium levels checked. I left the house with Madison and the baby in tow accompanied by my sister (who had already been on her way over to hang out) and we headed to the Children's Hospital fully expecting to be back in a few hours after some tests and maybe a little glucose...

3 comments:

........ said...

I do remember crying for a minute while watching such a peaceful baby of my own and not being able to hold her until two days after she was born. I miss her crying with the Binky and the Boppy around her, and I especially miss the rolls on her thighs.
P.S.
Emilia I love you and I am glad you are here. :)

The Princess Wonder said...

this last comment was actually from Madison! lol ;)

Unknown said...

That was a long scary day. Man I'm glad you had a happy ending! That little Em is a Doll!