September 23, 2010

Part 3...Meningitis

**Disclaimer: The following section of the story is very honest. It does not paint a very pretty picture of my sweet husband and I during a stressful situation. Before I decided how honest I would be I talked to Matt and asked his opinion. He told me to write it how it happened and I have. It's actually quite therapeutic for me to write about this I've decided and I am thankful that I have a husband that is ok with me writing our "true story" so that one day we'll remember the good and the bad and our kids will see that we made it through it all!** 


*Oh and the computer tantrum continues so I'm not sure if there will be pictures for the rest of the story...dangit!*


The chocolate cake was gone, the tears had subsided for a minute and it was time to go back to the ER waiting room to see how my baby girl had faired. It was about that time that Matt called. He had finally gotten into his truck and had driven down the canyon and had seen my repeated attempts to call him. "What's up?" He questioned? I told him where we were and what had transpired to far. I told him that the first round of tests had come back normal and that she had then needed a CT scan and a spinal tap. He was shocked that so much had happened in his absence. He had left that morning with Thomas thinking that all was well. That his new baby girl was pretty darn healthy and now she was in the ER having painful tests. He was not happy that I had let them do the spinal tap but I told him that I could not get a hold of him before they did it and that I had just wanted what was best for her. He hadn't really seen one of her "twitchy" episodes and he was mad because he felt like I had waited until he left and then conspired with my sister (have I mentioned we're co-dependent?) and our paranoia had fed off of each others' until we decided that something must be wrong. I tried to assure him that Amber had had nothing to do with the situation and that I had brought Em to the hospital under the pediatrician's direction. He was still mad. He said he would be up as soon as he found somewhere for T to go and could find a neighbor to come up and help give Em a blessing. I hung up the phone and the tears started all over again. Now my baby was sick, I had put her through a very painful test that I wasn't sure she needed and my husband was mad at me....good times.

At this point it was about 10:30 at night and we had arrived around 8. Madison, my sis and I sat down in the waiting room and shortly thereafter a nurse came out to talk to us about how the test had gone. I bawled while he told me that she had done well in the CT scan and that although she was not happy during the spinal tap, she was calm now and I could go back to see her. When I got back to the room, there she was wrapped in a blanket with red puffy eyes and splotchy skin that I knew had been caused by heavy crying. I picked her up and rocked her and I cried some more. Us girls sat and waited for Matt and the test results, with me not sure of which one I hoped would arrive first. Turns out it was Matt.

Matt walked in with our neighbor and good friend Sam and told me that another neighbor had let T stay with them (thank heavens for neighbors). The guys sat and visited for awhile and then anointed and blessed Em that she would heal completely from whatever infection she had and that she would be comforted through the procedures she was going through. Then we all waited.....and waited....and waited....

Around midnight Sam offered to take Madison and Amber home for us since they were getting tired and I was left with my unhappy husband to await the test results that still hadn't come (why do things in ER's take so blasted long?!). At some point they moved us to another room so that they could have the resuscitation room for a trauma that was coming in and again we waited.

After a while a doctor came in with the results which showed that Em had a small brain bleed which he said could have just been from delivery and that her spinal fluid had been a dark cloudy yellowish brown color instead of being clear as it should be. He said that her spinal fluid had a higher level of white blood cells than it should (normal being none) and that indicated an infection also. He told us that at this point they were pretty sure that she had meningitis and that she was a very sick little girl. I, of course, started crying again. He told us that they would start her on medicine as a precaution and then wait for her samples to grow out in the lab. The catch was that in babies that small much of the time their samples didn't grow out, even when they were positive for meningitis, because they could only take a very small amount of spinal fluid. Whether it grew out or not they would treat her as if she had tested positive because babies who do have meningitis, especially at such a young age, could go downhill fast. Matt wasn't happy about her being there without a sure answer that she did indeed have meningitis and when the doctor left the room I knew that Matt was not happy. He still didn't think she seemed sick enough to be there and was still feeling like I had gone behind his back.

Before the doctor left he had told us that someone else would come in to admit her and that she would then be transferred to a more permanent room. After waiting forever AGAIN Matt asked if he should stay or go get the other two. At this point it was around 2:00am I was exhausted (I had just given birth like 6 days ago for crying out loud!) and I was pretty peeved at his lack of support and I told him that quite frankly I didn't want him there anymore and to just leave...and he did.

1 comments:

valerie said...

Hospitalizations don't bring out the best in me and Jeff either....I have a few stories myself.

Goodness sakes this is quite an experience. Aren't you glad you are on this side of things?