January 9, 2010

All that churchy stuff.....Resolution #5



The Hubster tells me that I am his ticket into heaven. Unfortunately I seem to be headed the other direction so far. Not that I have done anything too evil but quite frankly I haven't done anything that spectacular either. I sorta just do enough to get by. Kinda like in High School. I still have nightmares that I am not going to graduate....but that's a different story. Anyway, I've gotten really lazy. Don't get me wrong, I am so glad to have the Church in my life and I have no intention  of leaving it. But I have to admit, I haven't been at all diligent about praying, reading my scriptures, attending all 3 meetings (good old 1-4 church. Um. The Pea's naptime. I gave up.), exemplifying my calling (Activity Days leader), service, temple attendance, food storage, I could go on and on. I know, we all have problems from time to time doing everything that we should but this last year it seems like I just kinda gave up. It's funny how fast you get out of a habit when you skip it just once or twice. I was just too tired to kneel down and pray a few times and before I knew it  I was saying my prayers while lying in bed every night. I know. I could do a whole lot worse. But you have to admit, I could do better. Do you know that I haven't been to the temple since before The Pea was born? She's 18 months old now. How embarrassing... Don't get me started on scripture study! I either find other things to do, start reading and fall asleep or read just a bit and then lose interest and don't pick em' up for another few weeks. Again, I could do better. FHE happens occasionally but not regularly. I'm embarrassed to admit that my kids rarely say their personal prayers and we remember to say mealtime prayers at dinnertime most nights, forget breakfast or lunch though. Why is it so hard to remember to help them pray? It just seems like by the time I get food on the table or kids settled down and tucked into bed, I've lost the brainpower to think of prayer or scripture study with them. That's right, I'm takin' the kiddos to you-know-where in a handbasket with me! Really though, all joking aside, I know things could be worse. I know I'm not some big sinner or anything. But I want to do better. I want to teach my kids to pray and to serve and to understand and rely on the scriptures. I want them to have memories of FHE and Mom and Dad heading out the door dressed up to go to the temple. I need the peace and inspiration that doing these things brings and our home needs the lessons that kids learn from these practices. So here's the part where I make it a resolution. The problem is all of this is really overwhelming and quite frankly I don't have a lot of confidence that I'll do very good at changing things. If ya'll have any ideas on how to incorporate these habits into my family's lives I'd be happy to hear em'! Maybe, just maybe, I could get me and The Hubster into heaven after all!

Resolution #5-Do better at the Churchy Stuff 

1 comments:

crazymom said...

Sugest to the kids that this should be their resolution too that way they will help you remember to do FHE andscripture study, ect. It is amazing how your kids can help motivate you!!!