August 4, 2010

Pickin' Feathers Outta My Teeth...



So remember how my son got a teacher that nobody seems to say anything good about? Well yesterday the school called and said that Thomas could finally change teachers. Even  though things had been going well I decided to still take them up on the offer. When Thomas got home I told him and he kinda freaked out. He told me that he really liked his teacher and didn't want to change. I thought about it all night and really just kept going back to the thought that really I just want him to be happy. I also thought about how I can't always rescue him from different personalities in life. In the end I decided that he should just stay where he is if it's really where he wants to be. The hard part though was that now I had to go back to Marilyn (one of the office ladies) and inform her that although I had caused a mini ruckus about him being in that class and called to check on how far he had to go on the waiting list just a few days ago, now I wanted him to stay. So I drove the kids to school today, threw Em in the stroller and marched in to eat a little crow. Marilyn was coming out the front doors when we walked up to the front doors and I explained what had happened and told her that we would be staying with T's teacher after all. She was happy that all was well and told us that she had already told both teachers about the change and his stuff had been moved to the new class. She told me that I would need to go inform his teacher that he would be staying after all so they could get his things back. Oh, I'm sorry, did I just say I would eat a little crow? I meant a GIANT one! Now I had to go face his teacher who now knew that I didn't want him in her class and apologize for thinking badly of her...GULP!

Through the halls we walked with me praying inside for courage to apologize. I HATE confrontation of any kind and I especially hate hurting others' feelings and I felt awful that I had listened to gossip. Really though, for all I know she's still going to turn into a wicked witch after a few months of this and I was just trying to protect my little duckling from having his enthusiasm for school crushed...but, I digress. So, through the halls we went on our way to my feathered snack. When we walked in she greeted us with a smile and I told her that Thomas has loved her so far and would really like to stay in her class. I told her that I had listened to gossip and had worried when I heard that her personality and Thomas' personality together would be well, somewhat explosive and not a good combination. I apologized for judging her without really getting to know her and thanked her for the effort she has put in as a teacher to make her classroom a fun place for kids. She thanked me and told me that she knew about the things people were saying about her (ouch!) and that she has really tried to make the necessary changes to make her classroom a pleasant place and explained that when she had first started teaching 2nd grade three years ago, her family had been going through some significant trials and were also in the process of moving while she was trying to adjust to teaching a new grade. She was under a lot of stress and admits that it was not a good year. She said last year was great and hopes this one will be even better. She's sad that some people still judge her from that first year. Honestly, I don't know what to think but I feel bad that I judged her. I feel bad that I didn't just give her a chance in spite of the gossip. Oh well, I guess the mama bear in me was just trying to protect her cub. It's hard to just chalk it up to experience for him when you know it may not be a good one. I guess if nothing else it was a good opportunity for my kids to see that I can admit when I'm wrong and I can apologize to someone when I have misjudged them.

Well, there you have it. He's staying. I've learned a valuable lesson and maybe, so have my kids. So next time you see me and wonder what those black things are in between my teeth you'll know that they're bits of crow feathers, and although that bird didn't feel good goin' down, I'm still alive and a better person for it. Now, I'm gonna go find me a toothpick...bye!

3 comments:

Stu said...

One of the nastiest meals for sure...but surprisingly it does a body good!

Ashlee said...

Misty, I love ya girlie! Thanks for sharing this story!! I too worry about my little bear cubs and want them to have a positive experience with school and life. But unfortunately we can't rescue them always!! Thanks for your example! Love ya!

Allyson said...

What a funny story! Good for you, eating the crow. Not easy stuff. (Thanks for your kind comments on my blog!)