December 22, 2009

Wesley James

I met my new nephew tonight. He was absolutely beautiful! He was born very early, at 25 weeks, but was absolutely perfect! The softest skin, tiny hands, a button nose, and well, big feet! For a 25 weeker that is. He was really quite breathtaking! However, because of a cyst in his lung, which led to heart failure and fluid build up in his brain which caused too much damage, sweet Wesley James only took a couple of gasps and then his spirit returned to Heaven. Yes, for 3 hours I held a lifeless little baby. The only sign that anything was amiss was his swollen little belly which was filled with fluid. Otherwise, he looked perfect. So perfect that I kept expecting him to move, to breathe. It's funny though, the fact that he was no longer alive didn't dampen my excitement to meet him, to hold him. I was honored that my brother and my sister-in-law would be so kind as to share their short time on this earth with him. I cannot imagine having to bury my baby and my heart breaks for them. I wish I could do something to take the pain from them. But I suppose grief makes you grow in ways nothing else can.


Jason and Angie-I'll pray for you guys, that the grief will lessen with time. I'll never forget that I have one more nephew...that I got to hold him, and kiss him. Thank you for the time I got with your sweet baby boy. It was by far the best gift I received this Christmas season!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Little Wesley is just so sweet. I'm so sad that things turned out the way they did but I'm glad he isn't in pain. That was really sweet of you to make that blanket :)